Thursday, September 1, 2016

Let me finish this first chapter of 1 John.  There are only ten verses.  The first five concern John verifying that everything he is telling us is true.  The next five I will finish tomorrow.  Next week I'll write about something different.  I always hear from you when I write stories about Ken.

Verse 5: "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

I have always wondered about the verses that talk about God being light.  What does that mean?  What was John talking about?  Could it be that God's spiritual form actually is light?  He led the Israelites in the desert with a pillar of light.  He appeared to Moses as fire in a burning bush.  Is it an allegory?   I have no idea.

No one has seen God.  But what I do know is that God reveals truth.  When you are in total darkness, you can't see anything.  But when the sun comes up, you see the world.  You see color.  You see things as they really are because of the light.  Light reveals truth.

I went to Carlsbad Caverns once, and when we were deep into the depths of the cave, they turned the lights off.  That is the blackest black I have ever experienced.  You couldn't see anything.  You couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  It was a total absence of light.  Total darkness.  I have no desire to ever experience that again.

Maybe John was trying to explain something about Jesus that all of us can understand.  Light is clean.    It allows us to define things.  When we are in the light, things are clear.  Maybe he was saying that God is the light that allows us to see things clear.

The opposite is darkness.  God says that those who do not repent will be cast into utter darkness. We get a choice.  Light, or darkness.  I choose light.  I hope you do, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment