Thursday, September 21, 2017

1 John has some memorable verses that we all know.  2:16 gives us the three categories of sin that humans commit:  "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is not of the Father, but is of the world."  1. sexual, lustful sin.  2. Stuff we think we have to have for happiness, greed.  3.  Pride. Who I am. What I do. What I say--Making a God of ourself.

And then there is 3:1-2  "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God...it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know...we shall be like him for we shall see him as he is."  We are going to get to see God!!

3:18 "My little children, don't love in words, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth."  John reiterates that it's not what you say, but what you do that shows love.

My favorite passage  is when John reassures those who are wondering, "Can this be true?  Am I really a child of God?"  John ends his letter by saying in 5:11-12 "And this is the record, that God has given us eternal life and this life is in his Son.  He that has the Son has life, and he that doesn't have the Son of God doesn't have life."  John is saying: "I've told your the truth.  You can absolutely trust what I am telling you.  I have written the truth.  Recorded it.

Followed by my favorite verse: 5:13 These things I have written to you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may believe on the name of the Son of God."  Once again he is giving us a written record of truth.

The thing I love about this verse is that:  1. He is writing to Christians:  "...to you that believe..."  2.  So that you can have total confidence:  "...that you may know you have eternal life..." 3. "...and that you may believe..."So that your belief grows stronger every time a you read John's words.

You believe, you know, you believe...  Knowing produces belief.  Belief produces knowing.  That's called growing in Christ.  Making yourself "...ready to give an answer to any person who asks a reason of the hope that is within you..." 1 Peter 15:3  I personally believe--and know what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment