Thursday, September 7, 2017

You've heard the phrase, "I'm going to put the fear of God in you."  I think that must have been Moses' condition at this point.  And then God said, "What do you have in your hand?"  Don't you think that Moses must have thought, "You know my name, you can cause a bush to burn without being consumed, you say you are God.  Surely you know a sheep hook when you see one?"

However, Moses answers, "It's a rod."  Then God told him to throw it down on the ground.  You have to give Moses credit, he did what the Voice said to do.  But when it turned into a snake, Moses took off running.  Who wouldn't?

But God called him back and said for him to pick the snake up by the tail--which anyone knows is definitely not how you pick up a snake.  Even I know how to pick up a snake.  But once again, Moses does what he is told to do--and is unharmed as the snake turns back into his rod.

By this time, Moses should have been convinced that this God of the Israelites was indeed the one and only true God.  But God gives him another sign, telling Moses to put his hand on his chest. Once again, Moses obeys, and his hand is covered with leprosy.  "Touch your chest again," God tells him.  Moses does, and is healed.  Moses must be convinced, but this is the point at which he gives God his final excuse.  He says, "O my Lord, I am a terrible speaker. "  This final excuse is indication that he is in line with what God wants him to do, but is not able to see how he is going to do it.

It's rather like when Esther said, "If I perish, I perish."  Moses probably figured he was a dead man.

God was justifiably irritated and said, "Moses, who do you think made you.  Who made your mouth, your eyes, your ears?  Don't you get it.  I am your creator.  I am all powerful.  So pull yourself together.  I will be with your mouth.  I will teach you what to say."  Or as my grandmother would have said when I was slow to react, "You git on now.  Git movin..."

Perhaps Moses knew more about God than I have given him credit for.  Jethro, his father in law, was a priest.  But was he a Jewish priest?  And if so, what was he doing in Midian.  The Jews were in Egypt.  You might want to read Exodus 18 and decide for yourself.  I'm not so sure that Jethro was.


No comments:

Post a Comment