Wednesday, March 11, 2020

My son Scott--the guy I always call when I am stuck for an answer to Biblical theology--answered my blog about Paul and Jesus this way:

Of course Paul knew Jesus.  Saul was a Pharisee.  Read Mark 11:27...Paul was a member of that group.  Anytime the New testament Gospels say that the leaders were there, you can more than assume that Saul was present.  He was a leader.  I am convinced he knew Jesus and had heard him preach.  That is why Paul’s mission and preaching is so powerful.  He had heard and understood FULLY that Jesus was the Messiah after his (own) conversion.  He put two and two together.  They were contemporaries.    People will argue that Acts Chapter 9 means he didn’t know Jesus because Saul didn’t know who was tormenting him on the road to Damascus.   This isn’t true.   He didn’t know who it was (speaking to him) because:
     1.  It was a bright light.
     2.  He didn't think of Jesus because Jesus was dead.
     3.  No one had the power to do what was happening to him but God. 
     4.  He was convinced that Jesus wasn't God.  Therefore it wouldn't have
          crossed his mind.
 In Acts 9:3  "As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 9:4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”  9:5 “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.  “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. 9:6 “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” 9:7 The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. 9: Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing.  (I'll continue what Scott had to say tomorrow.  I've run out of space.)



No comments:

Post a Comment