Monday, March 23, 2020

Sunday was strange.  I tried to listen to the sermon on TV.  But I'm a better doer than a listener.  I was sitting in my chair thinking how disconnected it is to listen on line away from friends and was wondering what I could do about that.

I went to the garage opened the garage door and popped the trunk on my car.  I took the seven pieces of my little marimba out to the sidewalk, put the thing together and set it up. (I keep it in the trunk of my car for when I play at assisted living, etc.  I have a big one in the house that I use to practice.)

Got my sticks and started to play.  Amazing Grace, Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, Leaning on The Everlasting Arms, etc.  Jean and Dean came out to listen and so did their neighbor.  Found out one of the neighbors plays guitar, and another is the praise director at a local church.

I'm thinking next Saturday, I'll type up some bulletins, walk them down the street and scotch tape them to doors and invite everyone to bring a folding chair and an instrument if they have one to join us next Sunday on the sidewalk at 11:00.  Get a little neighborhood band going.  Six feet apart. 

Dean is a preacher.  I'm a chaplain.  Maybe we could start a street church.  I doubt anyone would want to listen to either of us talk, but I'm sure everyone would enjoy the music.

I think that would be fun.  We all might get to know each other.  Maybe there could be something good come from being stuck in our houses while this crisis plays itself out. 

Pecan Hollow Nitty Gritty Church Street Band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment