Friday, February 14, 2014

Although I have talked about James, I have avoided the book of James.  He is a black and white kind of guy.  No discussion.  No lead in or explanation, he just says what's on his mind.  I really don't  think he cares very much what you think.  He is just stating the truth.

That said, I finally made myself read the book again and was amazed at how many verses I had memorized from four pages of the book of James.  I have a new appreciation for him.

Remember, all of these books in the New Testament were written by different people and then collected.  They don't sound alike.  They don't write alike.  They are all very different men.

Interestingly enough, one of the big differences is how they start their letters.  James starts by saying his letter is to the twelve tribes scattered abroad.  These would be Jews who hadn't necessarily heard the word about Jesus.

Then he jumps right in and tells you in verse 2 to be thankful when you are tempted.  "…count it all joy…" he says.  Because the trying of your faith makes you patient.

Strange way to start a letter.  As a matter of fact, he uses the word patient or patience throughout the book.  Also the subject of temptation.

I think that he thought the development of patience was the first step of the Christian life.  Later in verse 12 he says,  "Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him."  Enduring produces patience.

I'm not very patient.  I probably should revise that to say, "I'm not patient at all."   Probably need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment