Monday, February 10, 2014

I can't seem to stay in the book I am writing about.  In this case 1 Peter.  I start looking up references to something and then I am chasing rabbits.  Additionally, I am always reading some other book in the Bible because I have finished the one I am writing about and so I start reading something else.  And no, I don't always understand everything I am reading.  I just keep on keeping on.  It is so interesting.

I say that to say this.  I am halfway through the book of Luke and have been amazed at how many times he quotes Peter.  Peter seems to be his secondary character.  Of course Jesus is first.

Luke was a doctor.  He was precise.  And the things he wrote about and the way he wrote about Jesus was different from Matthew, Mark and John.  When Luke became a Christian, he really had no idea of what had happened in Jesus' early life.  So he went back to the sources.  Probably to the mother of Jesus, because some of the things he tells us, the other three gospel writers don't tell us.  Like the story of Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist and how Mary came to see her before Jesus was born.  

There is a translation of the four Gospels called the Parallel Gospels that has all four, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John on the same page.  In columns.  So you can compare what each writer wrote that the others didn't.  And what they left out.  It is fascinating how differently each one wrote.

But Peter, and the stories about him seem to fascinate Luke.   At one point Luke says that Peter, always outspoken, says:  (loose translation)  "Lord, when you tell these parables are you telling them for us, or are they for everyone?)  Luke 12: 41.   Peter's mind was always turning, trying to figure out what and who Jesus was.  But when it was crunch time, Jesus asked the twelve, "Who do you say that I am?"  And Peter, always first to speak said "Thou art the Christ, the son of the Living God." Matt. 16:16

No comments:

Post a Comment