Thursday, February 27, 2014

James 2:5  "And the tongue is a little member, (of the body) and boasts great things.  Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindles."  Here's the story to go with that verse.  Ken is the villain.

After I started cleaning, I kept at it and straightened everything in the house.  I found this beautiful medal in one of the drawers in the bedroom.  "What did you do to get this medal," I asked him.
"I'll tell you only if you promise to keep it to yourself.  I don't want to brag."
"Tell me!"
"It was awarded to me for being the greatest fighter pilot in the Marine Corps."

That night we went to a squadron party, my first.  Everyone wanted to meet Ken's new bride.  One of the pilots who came up to welcome me was J. L. Smith.  He had a beautiful gold medal on a blue ribbon around his neck.  "My husband has a gold medal like that," I told him.
"Really,  I bet you are very proud of him," he told me.  "How did he receive it?" he asked.
"I'm not supposed to tell.  He doesn't want to brag."
"You can tell me, I'm a good friend of his.  He won't mind if you tell me."
He was so very nice.  So polite. So I told him.
Next day Ken came storming in the door, "What did you tell J.L. about me being the world's greatest fighter pilot?"  He wasn't happy.  "The medal abound J.L's. neck is the Congressional Medal of Honor!!  He was the ace in World War II in Europe.  He's on the cover of Life magazine for Pete's sake."
So why did you tell me you were the greatest?  And what is that medal in the drawer?"
"Football.  I got it playing for the Pensacola Goslings.  I'm never going to live this down.  The entire squadron is going to rag me for the rest of my life."
"You shouldn't have teased me.  I thought you were telling me the truth.  Now, all the people in the squadron are going to think I'm really dumb."
"Naw," he said. "They think you are cute.  And very loyal to your man."


No comments:

Post a Comment