Wednesday, February 26, 2014

James 4:13b "You that say, today or tomorrow we will go into such a city and continue there a year…"
James 14:14  "You don't know what will happen tomorrow.  For what is your life?  It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away."

"You will go into such a city (Pensacola) and continue there a year….," well I didn't make it.  I was so lonesome I could die.  I got on a bus and went back to Oklahoma after four months.  I didn't think of it as 'leaving Ken.'  I just couldn't stand it any more.  I had no one but Ken in Pensacola and he was never home.  I took a leave of absence from my job, kissed Ken goodbye and left.

Two weeks later he called.  "Are you coming back?"
"Do you want me to come back?"
"You know I do."
"Maybe I'll be back in a week or so."
My dad took the phone out of my hand and said, "Ken, I'm putting her on the bus tomorrow."

My dad was a very sweet man who seldom asserted himself.  He had never ever told me what to do.  He left that up to my mother.  That's when I knew I was really married.  That's when I knew that Pryor wasn't my home anymore.

"You don't know what will happen tomorrow.  For what is your life?"  Well, mine was settled.  I was a Marine Corp wife.  I just had to figure out how to do it.  Like most eighteen year old girls, I had thought it would be 'dreamy' and romantic.  Which it was, occasionally.  Then reality set in.  This was going to require something of me.  I hadn't ever thought that far ahead.

I started by tearing up a towel and dusting our house.  It was a pit.  




No comments:

Post a Comment