Monday, February 24, 2014

The wedding was like a story book.  Military.  Seven guys in dress whites flew in from Pensacola in a Beechcraft.  White covers (hats), Ivory handled swords.  Bridesmaids in rainbow colors.  The church was so full that people were standing.  Ken's father officiated.  It was a beautiful wedding.  Pryor had never seen a military wedding before that--or since that.  Things like that don't happen here.

The arch of swords finished it off and as I went under them, I got a whack on the rear.  Custom in the Marine Corps.  We were married.  My plan had been to start college in September at OSU.  I was pre-enrolled and had a corner room in the dorm--a big deal because you got an extra window.  Ken's persistence changed all that.  I had to find a new normal.

"I met all your requirements?" I asked him--expecting some sweet answer like, "You exceeded them all."  But he said, "No, you only met eight of them."  I was flabbergasted.  "What do you mean!!  What two didn't I meet?"

"You are way to young.  And you have never have had to manage on your own.  You have always lived at home.  But I think you are smart enough to figure it all out.    You'll do."

He was right.  I had a lot to learn.  He said "You'll do" a lot.

He brought the pay check in the next month and laid it on the table.  "Here's what we earn."  WE.  "You have to learn how to manage it.  I will be gone a lot.  You'll have to take care of everything."

I spent it.  I didn't know about utilities.  Or telephone bills.  Or credit cards--I had never seen one.  It was really bad.  I had to find a real job to dig myself out.  Which I did.  The next month he laid the check on the table and said, "This is what we earn.  Don't get discouraged.  You'll do okay."  He never ever criticized me.  He never said a negative word.

No comments:

Post a Comment