Thursday, August 21, 2014

Bo isn't doing very well.  I have his seizures under control for now with medications.  But when he goes to bed at night, he can't find a comfortable position.  So I  took him to the vet and they gave him some pain pills.  Everything he does is a struggle.  Getting in and out of the car.  Climbing the stairs.  But he is still happy.  He crawls in my lap to go to sleep.  But I know his days are numbered and I am going to have to make a decision.  He can't make it for himself.  As long as he has quality of life and we can control his seizures and arthritis I will put the decision off.  But I know it is coming.

I had Ken's squadron patches stitched onto his leather flight jacket one year for his birthday.  He had a lot of patches.  The jacket is too small for either of my sons.  And Pat has always wanted it--she will wear it.  She has gone back to teaching this year (after retiring two years ago), so I got it out and took it to her.   Her students will get a kick out of it.   Pat buried her face in it and said, "This smells like my dad."  And it did.  She can wrap herself up and feel his arms around her.

Hebrews 1:10-12 "You Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the works of your hands.  They will perish, but You remain…they will all grow old and wear out like a garment…You will roll them up, and roll them up and they will be changed and replaced by others…"

Hebrews reminds us that all that is in the world is temporary.   Everything--dogs, people, garments and worlds--grows old and wears out.  The world was made by God, and there is a time coming when he will start over and replace it.  Life is short.  Make sure your days count.  Most of what we do doesn't really matter in the long run.  Wrap your arms around someone.





No comments:

Post a Comment