Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I am reading a Pulitzer Prize winner, "John Adams" by David McCullough.  It is very interesting.  I have a better idea of what role he played in forming the nation as well as Thomas Jefferson, John Jay, Hamilton, Franklin, Madison and others.

One of the things they all did was write letters.  Detailed writing--to each other--that was how they spent much of their time, bouncing ideas off of each other.  By reviewing their letters to each other and to their families, the author has spun a story that is intriguing.

I have always thought that the best training you can give yourself to write well is to read well.  Reading books that are well written is a present you give to yourself.  But reading has given way to television, and writing has given way to texting.  The loss is sad.

I found many words in the book that I didn't know.  Now I do.  Words are how we think.  If you have a poor vocabulary, you will be a poor thinker.  Now that I have grown older, I have a harder time remembering words.  I know what they are.   I know where they are in my head.   I just can't get to them when I want them.  Eventually they come, but the quickness of youth is absent.

I love the way words are used in the King James version of the Bible.  They are beautiful.

Jeremiah 15:16  "Your words were found and I did eat them; and your word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart:  for I am called by your name, O Lord God of hosts."

Eat words.  Read.






No comments:

Post a Comment