Friday, August 15, 2014

Today, one of my grandsons (I have 5) came by for a visit and asked me an interesting question.  "Grammy, of all of the books in the Bible, which one would help me the most.

"Well," I answered him, "I think it depends on what you are wanting.  Is it information?  Or do you want to explain the plan of salvation to someone?   Or is it for you?  To help you grow into a better man.

"For me," he answered.

"That's easy, and there isn't much to read."  I held my Bible up and showed him that it was about three inches thick.  Then I separated the part I thought he should read.  It was only 1/8 of an inch thick.  Just a few pages.   "There is a lot in here that is interesting, things that you should learn someday, but only a little bit that will give you what you are asking for."

"What part is it?  What should I read?" he asked.

"The gospel of John.  Paul, Peter, John and James' short letters.   And one book in the Old Testament,  Proverbs--the book of wisdom.  That's it.  Then if you want to know more, you can add to that.  But those short books will do it.  Your granddad said that his favorite letter was the one Paul wrote to the Romans."

My grandson is a Christian, turning twenty one years old.  He is going to be a good man.  He is asking all the right questions.  He usually stays an hour or two and we talk.  I am so privileged to have grandsons that love me, call me on the phone and come visit me.  I like them.  They turned out okay.

Proverbs 17:6a  "Children's children are the crown of old men (and women)….







No comments:

Post a Comment