Monday, August 4, 2014

Saturday night I went to the Bill Gaither concert.  I had never been before and as a matter of fact, I don't remember ever going to a live concert before.  I have seen many drama productions but no live music.  Pitiful, but true.   I was blown away.  I listen to them on TV, but  there is no comparison.  They are so talented.  David Phelps will be the tenor someday in the heavenly choir.   My friend Carolyn's son bought us the tickets for her birthday.  So nice.

I play the piano and marimba, but I very seldom listen to music.  I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't, but so much of it is monotonous, loud and irritating.   Ken always listened to classical music and when I got into the car, that would be what was on.  It was nice.  I played Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninov, etc for recital pieces as I was growing up, so I do have some redeeming musical grace.  But I still seldom listen to the radio.   With the exception of Fats Domino, Ricky Nelson and Little Richard.  Which I know sounds out of character.  Go figure.

I like the sound of silence.  Ken used to say that people are frightened of silence.

At church on Sunday we sang the Doxology.  It has been "Out of Fashion" with the young crowd and it has been years since we sang it.  When I was young, it was the first song that we sang every Sunday.  "Praise God from whom all blessings flow.  Praise him all creatures here below.  Praise him above ye heavenly host.  Praise Father Son and Holy Ghost."  It felt like God was listening.  So many contemporary  churches have gone to the big band format.  Which is alright, but not for me.

Psalms 66:1,4  "Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:  Sing forth the honor of his name: make his praise glorious….All the earth shall worship you, and sing unto you; they shall sing to your name."

If you are going to worship God, you have to have a thankful heart.   And scripture doesn't say that you have to carry a tune, it says, "…make a…joyful noise...".

No comments:

Post a Comment