Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I have a book called, "Prayer, Conversing With God."   The suggestion was made that you might try to visualize him  by putting a chair in the room and inviting him to sit down.  And then just talk to him.   You don't have to read a prayer out of a book.  Or memorize some chant.  Just use everyday words.

Tell him about how thankful you are for hot water.  For air conditioning.  For a car.  For the money to put gas in the car.  Think about all the little things that you and I take for granted that the rest of the world doesn't have,  and thank him.

Then compliment him.  I don't know about you, but I am always lifted up when someone says something nice about me.  Or thanks me for something I have done for them.  Or--and this is an especially big one--that they appreciate me!!  I can run all day on a little praise.  Some of the readers in Bartlesville tell my son--who works there--how much they enjoy what I write. Thank you.

Since we are made in his image, why would we think God would be any different.  He wants our sincere praise.  He wants to hear us say, "I love you."

There is an acronym that I sometimes use called ACTS.  Adoration, Confession, Thankfulness, and Supplication.  I have a tendency to get the supplication out of order and put it first.

My prayers are always short.  But they go on all day.  They are usually no longer than two or three sentences and start every morning when I go out to get the paper and thank him for the new day and the weather.  Whatever the weather is: rain, sleet, sunshine, heat, cold…it's all good for something.  I tend to say something like, "You did a good job on the clouds this morning.  They are really pretty."

Psalms 5: 3  "My voice shall you hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning I will direct my prayer unto you, and will look up."



No comments:

Post a Comment