Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Continuing in the book of Hebrews:
Angels.  People collect them as trinkets for their bookshelves.  But we don't really have much to say about them that is relevant.  What do they really do?  To be honest, have you ever heard a sermon on angels?  Why do you think priests, pastors and Bible teachers have so little to say about them when they have such a prominent place in the Biblical writings?  The most I have ever heard about the reality of angels was from the TV show, "Touched by an Angel."  Strange.

Hebrews tells us that Jesus was "so much better" than angels.  The writer was probably trying to explain where Jesus was 'spiritually positioned' to a group of people who had a heritage of stories about angels.  Hebrews 1:4-5  "Being made so much better than the angels, since he (Jesus)  has--by inheritance--obtained a more excellent name than they."  The Son of God is his name.  Angels were helpers, not inheritors.  "For unto which of the angels has he at any time said, You are my Son, this day I have begotten you…?"  Jesus was the Son.  Although he prophesied, he was not an angel.

I read a novel by Frank Peretti called "Piercing the Darkness."  It was full of angels and I thought it was make believe.  So I looked up all his Biblical references and found that everything he claimed was true.  I didn't know there were so many Bible verses about angels.  Up until then, I had never thought much about them.  Now, I pray that God will send his angels to guard round about me and mine.

Hebrews 13:2 "Don't forget to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."
Do we have guardian angels?

Hebrews 1: 7a, 14b "God speaks of his angels as messengers swift as the wind and as servants made of flaming fire… for the angels are only spirit-messengers sent out to help and care for those who are to receive his salvation."   That would be us!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment