Monday, August 25, 2014

My new friend Brenda has a booth at Edmond Antiques and every time I go to Edmond, I get to visit with her.  She started reading this blog every day, and took up my challenge to start reading the Bible again.  And after a while, she told me she started going back to church.  "I want to make it a new habit," she said.  For those of you who want to make a new habit, of any sort,  you have to make a decision to do it.  The older we get, the more set in our ways we are, and it is harder.

But just because we are older is no excuse.  We should all make new habits that are good.  It is rather like changing the way you eat.  You may not like every meal, but the desired result will be that you feel better and you will be healthier in the long run.

We know the things God wants us to do, we just don't want to do them.  Even when we know it is good for us.  God never asks us to do anything that is not going to make us happier and more at peace with him.  So in our head, we have to determine to do what is good for us.  We strive to make a new habit through determination.  

I remember when seat belts started being put in new cars.  I couldn't remember to buckle up.  So I told God, "I want to make a habit of buckling every time I get in the car.  So if you will remind me, I will do it." (That way, it was His problem, not mine!!)  I truly wanted to make a good habit and God honored my prayer.  After that, every time I got in the car, it came to my mind--buckle up.  Now I don't even think about it, I just do it.  Habit accomplished.

Same way with saying, "God bless you," when I go through the fast food windows.  When I challenged my class to do that with me, I don't know if they did it, but I did.  And now it is a habit.

"God bless you."  It may be the only time a person hears God's name that it isn't being used as a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment