Friday, August 8, 2014

We moved with the cow  because Ken had finished his Masters and got a job teaching at a Jr. College in Miami, 55 miles northeast of Pryor.  He wanted to commute, but I didn't think that was reasonable!  We needed to sell the house and move.  Which we did.  The kids wanted a farm, so we bought a tiny four room house with a huge barn on ten acres. The barn was stellar.  He house wasn't.  I spent the next year trying to enclose a breezeway and put two bedrooms and a bath in the garage.  Scott got the hall closet.  We put both girls together in one bedroom and we took the other.  Which didn't work out at all.  So Ken and I ended up sleeping in the breezeway and the girls got a room apiece.  Anything for peace.

The barn was perfect for the cow.  And a horse.  And chickens and collie dogs.  And useful animals as well.  Cats.  That lived in the barn keeping the mice at bay.  We also had a possum that visited every night and depleted the chickens.  When Ken took a shovel and headed to the barn to dispatch the possum, Becky began to cry and beg him to give the possum just one more chance.  He didn't.   You can't redeem a possum.

Scott was 9 years old, Becky 13 and Pat 15 when we moved.  And I was pregnant.  Certainly the last thing on my list of things I ever wanted to be again.  Once again I was hanging sheetrock, insulation, and painting ceilings.  Barely able to move since I was carrying a ten pound baby.

We lived 10 miles from town and all I did that year was drive kids back and forth to school events, sports events and church events.  By the end of the year, I had to agree with Ken that we had made a mistake to move.  So six weeks after Jonathan was born,  we sold the farm and moved back to Pryor.  Between Ken going one way and me and the children going another, we had moved nineteen times in sixteen years.  And that wasn't the last move we made.

Luke 9:58 "And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has no where to lay his head."  Ken and I were starting to feel like Jesus must have felt.








No comments:

Post a Comment