Thursday, August 14, 2014

I went to Edmond last Wednesday and stayed till Saturday.  Of course I went to Edmond Antiques.  My cousin, Ann, and Becky go to the garage sales while I'm there and that is fun.   Ann and Becky both have booths.  They like to buy the stuff and I like to arrange it so they both put me to work.  You find the strangest things.  I found a WW2 Nazi bronze bugle engraved with a swastika.  Some trooper must have brought it back from the war.  It looked like it had a million dings in it.

The drive is awful.  Two hours and fifteen minutes both ways.  When I think that I used to drive cross country without thinking much about it, I wonder how I did it.

In 1963-65, I used to drive from Beaufort, S.C. to Oklahoma with my three kids.  Ken had to work so I would go by myself.  Once, a friend from Montgomery went half way with me.  We stayed all night at her mother's house.  It just happened to be during the Montgomery civil rights marches.  I found out that my friend and her mother were very bigoted.  When dinner was served, each course was brought in by a different server--who were black, of course.  I said "Thank you" to each one of them.  When they were through serving, the mother told me that you didn't ever thank the servants.  You weren't supposed to speak to them at all.

You would have been proud of me.  I said, "Well, I do.  I was taught to thank everyone who serves me."  And the friendship was severed.  Her mother didn't approve of my attitude.  I had never been exposed to such snobbery.  That was fifty years ago during the civil rights movement and most people in Alabama felt like she did.  What a shame.

Proverbs 11:17  "When you're kind to others, you help yourself; when you're cruel to others, you hurt yourself."

Matthew 5:47  "And if you salute your brethren only, what are you doing any more than others?  Don't even the publicans do that."








No comments:

Post a Comment