Thursday, October 16, 2014

Bo is the most expensive free dog I've ever known.  He was a rescue dog.  Now he is on special food because of failing liver function.  He takes four pills a day for epilepsy.  He has to have regular blood work as well.  He has really bad cataracts and is losing his hearing. He is failing pretty fast.  I just pray that I will know when he can't go on.  I certainly don't want him to suffer.  But every now and then he turns over on his back and does a Snoopy dance.  Wiggling and throwing his pet "Piggy" up in the air.  Full of joy.

Joy is a funny thing.  You have to take it when you can get it.  I am flooded with joy every now and then when I think about how good God was to let me have Ken as my best friend.  God was gracious when he brought Ken into my life.  And I didn't have to find him.  God delivered him to my door.

Ken was generous.  He wanted me to succeed.  He wanted me to be the very best "Me" that I could be.  He encouraged me.  He gave me full control over our finances but took steps to ensure my financial future.  Whatever I wanted, he wanted me to have.  He worried about the difference in our ages and wanted me to be comfortable when he was gone.  When we were married, he said, "I am almost nine years older than you and the possibility is very real that you will spend part of your life without me.  Of course when I was eighteen, I couldn't imagine a time like that.  Now, I can.  Ken was a real "Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you," kind of person.

It gives me joy to think about him even though I am sad that he is gone and I miss him terribly.

In John 15:11 we find these words: "These things have I spoken to you that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."

In the midst of loneliness, or sadness, or whatever, we can have joy.  Like I said,  joy is a funny thing.  It isn't happiness.  It isn't contentment.  It swells up from somewhere inside you and bubbles.

Spread your joy around.

No comments:

Post a Comment