Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hebrews 13:14 "For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our everlasting home in heaven."

My mom had Alzheimer's disease.  When dad couldn't care for her any longer (she would get up in the night and take the car and go--somewhere--and then was lost) he found a unit that cared exclusively for Alzheimer patients.  A place that had monitored doors so that their patients couldn't wander away.

My mom taught mathematics for years and years.  She was really good at it and her students loved her. She had a pleasant, cheerful disposition.  She never complained about anything.

One day when I went to the Alzheimers unit, she had pulled a long table into position and placed chairs around it and had all the other patients sitting around it.  She was teaching them math.  They weren't learning anything, but she was giving it all she had.  She looked up as I came in and said, "Janie, these people don't want to learn anything!!"

She couldn't remember my dad coming to see her.  She couldn't remember much of anything.  But she didn't know how to quit trying.  She was something.

I am glad this world isn't her home anymore.  She is in an everlasting home where everyone wants to learn.  I, for one, can't wait to find out how the worlds were made.  How cells divide and make a human person. How dinosaurs lived.  I have a million questions.

My body is a mess.  But I think my mind is okay.  So far.  I want to learn.

Alzheimers is the disease that kills the family of the patient.  I know some of you out there must be dealing with it.  You have my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment