Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hebrews 13:5-6  "Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have.  For God has said, 'I will never, never fail you nor forsake you:'"  The writer continues:  "That is why we can say without any doubt or fear, 'The Lord is my helper, and I am not afraid of anything that mere man can do to me'."

When you are young you are so attracted by things.  The "in" thing.  The "new" thing.  This year's car. Different clothes. Etc., etc., etc.  But when you reach my age, your wants are very simple.  The things that money can buy have very little allure.  I don't want a new house, I actually need a smaller house.  I don't want a new car, I just want the one I have to be full of gas.  I don't want to redecorate, I want to get rid of things that serve no purpose and have to be dusted.

Since Ken died, I have realized that everything I did to make our home pretty and attractive was because it was "Our" home.  Now that it is just mine, I have very little interest in decorating.  I want less.  I need less.

In King James, the verse from Hebrews 13:5 says it this way:  "Let your conversation be without covetousness…"  Living Bible says: "Stay away from the love of money…"  Either translation tells us that the more we want, the more we want.  There is no end to it.

Simplify.  Simplify.  Be satisfied with what you have.  God isn't going to let you down.  He is in it for the long haul.  He will "never, never leave you or forsake you."

That's good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment