Monday, June 26, 2017

I found out that the Oklahoma Metropolitan Library in OK City will mail books free to senior citizens who are over 65.  All you have to do is call and enroll.  I have been receiving books by mail for a few weeks now and have already read over 20 books.  They even pay the postage.  Great service.

I love murder, mystery and mayhem.  And like for the book to have redeeming qualities as well.  And I am totally sick of the new trend to use language that I think is beneath my idea of intelligent communication.  So finding an author that I like is difficult.  Of course there is John Grisham--but I have read everything he has written already.

I ordered "Fahrenheit 451" yesterday.  I want to read it again.  None of the members in my Sunday class had ever heard of it!!  I was telling them that we are dependent for truth from the written accounts of those who have gone before us, and many times all we have are oral accounts--and Fahrenheit 451 is a classic on that subject.  I mentioned the book "Roots" as well, and only one person knew what I was talking about.  Am I ancient, out of date, or don't people read anymore?

I have to fit reading into everything else I am doing, but can usually read 3 to 4 books a week.  Reading is so much more satisfying than watching TV.  (Which I also do.  Mostly the news.)  I told you that my mom didn't make us do housework if we were reading, so of course, I always had my nose in a book.

I was reminded of my first experience of reading this week when I was working at the antique store, and because I didn't have anything to do most of the time, I picked up a comic book--Nancy and Sluggo.  I had completely forgotten about reading comics.  But pictures came into my mind of when we used to stack them up and meet the kids on our street and swap comics.  I bet I read a million of them.  Most of the ones I remember were from the 40's.

My mom just said, "Read."  So we did.  We read everything we could get our hands on.  We traded books as well as comics.  But the Bible is still my favorite.  Because it gives us a story that no other book can give.  Hope.  I just keep rereading it.  It never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment