Thursday, June 8, 2017

This last week, I helped out at Edmond Antiques a couple of times.  I had never used a cash register in my life.  I had never used one of those credit card thing-a-ma-jigs either.  But I learned.  Amazing that at my age I learned to do something new.   But Pam (the owner) trusted me to do it.  Which means that I am not over the hill yet.

I find it interesting that we all learn new things in different ways.  I don't know how you learn, but my method is never by having someone "tell" me how to do something.  I have to be shown.  And then I have to touch it.  I don't do well reading instructions either, and I certainly know how to read.  But when I don't know what I am doing, reading about "how to do it" is like reading Greek.

When I taught math, I would tell the students what we were going to do, then show them on the board  how to go about it.  I worked out examples for them.  And most of the class would set to the task. But a few students just sat there confused--because they didn't learn that way.  They didn't learn by listening.  I had to go back to their desk and give them step by step instructions while they held a pencil in their hand.  But when they got it, they got it.

As a Bible teacher, you have the same problem.  You can talk all day long about what the Bible says, what God expects, and how to do "Christianity."  But if you aren't living it out in your own life, some of those people who are listening to you won't get it either.  But you can be sure they are watching.

It isn't about what you know, it's about what you do.  I've memorized a lot of scripture.  But people don't see what is in my head, they see what is in my life.

The book of James is a great piece of writing on how to behave.  He said, "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

What have you been doing lately?  There is an old saying, "If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"




No comments:

Post a Comment