Thursday, June 1, 2017

The next lady in the group said, "The thing that I find especially hard is not having anyone to talk to.  I don't know what I want to talk about, but when my husband was alive, there was someone around to answer a question--when I had one.  Someone to laugh about things with.  Nothing big, just someone to talk to--about nothing.  Someone who remembered the things that I remembered.  I don't have anyone like that anymore.  Part of the problem is that I haven't lived here for very many years and it takes time to make friends you can talk to about stupid stuff."

"Now, I go days without ever leaving the house.  And if I do go out, it's to the grocery store, or to fill the car up with gas, or go to the post-office or the bank.  But I don't really talk to anyone when I do those things."  She continued, "I've joined every activity my church offers.  I've made friends, and that helps, but it's not the same as talking with someone you really know."

"I do read more than I used to.  But I miss conversations like I used to have.  About nothing important.  With someone who likes the same things that I do.  I'm sure part of what I am feeling is grief--for something I can never get back.  But still, I wish I had someone to talk to everyday."

As I listened to her I thought about how thankful I am for Carolyn.  I talk to her on the phone almost every day.  About nothing.  She is in Pryor, I am in Edmond, but we've both been able to keep our friendship alive by talking every day.  And Sally calls me regularly.  And Becky Bacon.  I have truly been blessed by having close friends who stay in touch--although they live far away.  Life time friends.  Yes, I lost Ken, but I am not alone as long as I have my friends.  Someone close to talk to.

Carolyn told me that people in Pryor ask her what we talk about, and she said she told them, "I really don't know.  Nothing.  Everything.  I don't remember what we said today when I called her--but I'm sure it was important."  That's the kind of talk we all need.  Small talk.  About things we share.  About the things that are happening in their neck of the woods.  Talking, listening, is a comfort to us as we age.  God made us social critters.  We need people to talk to who care enough to listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment