Tuesday, December 17, 2019

From yesterday, a teen asked how a person knew what was true in the Bible:  "Questioning God’s Word was considered blasphemy.  Nobody did that."   

I didn’t have an answer for her.  I was twenty-seven years old, had not been to college, and my entire knowledge of science was from high-school biology.  I had never heard of Darwin.  Much less his Theory.  I had been too busy raising children to pay much attention to the news in the field of science.
My assurances to the class that the Bible was true didn’t bear any weight with them at all.  “How do you know that it’s true,” one of them asked me?  “How do you explain the dinosaurs that lived over sixty-six million years ago?”
I learned something new that day.  Simply telling young people to have faith that the Genesis story was true wasn’t going to cut it any more.  I needed facts.  I needed to know what was going on out there in the world of science, and I needed to have the ability to defend what the Bible said.  With truth, not with words.
And then, I discovered something else.  I didn’t have any idea what the first chapter of Genesis actually said.  I had read it a number of times.  But I had read it without discernment; I had read it without asking any questions.  Obviously, I needed to learn how to read!  (Continued tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment