Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I am writing into a void.  I can't see you.  I don't know who you are.  As far as I know, I don't have any way to hear you.   I wish I could hear all of your voices.

Writing every day is cathartic.  It is like wringing out a cold wet washrag and wiping your face.  Refreshing. I started writing before the invention of the electric typewriter.  Being able to write on an Apple and have someone read it immediately is truly amazing.  They say it is sitting out there in a "cloud" so that generations to come can read it if they want to.  That is hard for me to imagine.

Someone once said that your life is forgotten if you don't write.  I don't want Ken's life to be forgotten.  If I can give him any lasting gift it will be for coming generations to know what a truly incredible man he was.  We were all so blessed to be a part of his life.  It was exciting.  Because of the gypsy life we lived, moving 19 times in 15 years, our children are extremely adaptable.  Circumstances demanded it.  Nobody had time to sweat the little things.  So we didn't.  And they didn't either.  They had to cope.

Ken always said, "Say 'yes' every chance you get.  There will be enough times you have to say no."  He was right.  Our youngest Jon was in the fifth grade when "The Boz" was playing for OU.  Boz had a radical haircut for that time.   When Jon saw it, he asked me to cut his hair that way.  "Sure, I said.  "Get me the clippers."  I cut three or four curved stripes down both sides of his head.   It was cool.  That afternoon all his friends came home from school with him so I could cut their hair too.  "I'll do it if you will get a note from your mom."  What difference does hair make in the long scheme of things anyway?  

Ken always said, "I want my children to obey me because they love me, not because they fear me.

That's what God wants as well.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and you will have nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment