Wednesday, July 9, 2014

When Ken got back from Vietnam and retired, we built a house.  I had designed the floor plan in such a way that my four kids could get to their bedrooms from either the back door or the front door without walking through the family room.  Without walking in front of anyone.

That certainly didn't work.  No one ever used the hallway that I had designed for them to walk through, of course.  So one day, I decided to take down one side of the hall  so that hall space could be incorporated into the family room.  Which I did.  I figured that if I could draw the plans to build the house, I could take down a wall.

I got a crowbar and a hammer and started tearing out sheetrock and studs, headers, wiring and floor boards.   The wall was more than twenty feet long, but I had it done by the next day.  It looked great.  I wondered why I had put a hall there in the first place.  (No, Ken didn't know I was tearing down a wall.  He was in Stillwater, at OSU going to school three days a week and  coming home on the weekends.)

And then, one of our friends stopped by to see what I had done and asked me a question:  "It looks to me like that wall was load bearing.  Did you check it out."
My reply:  "What is load bearing?"

I could design a floor plan, but I had no idea about construction details.  The whole thing could have caved in on me.  But God is good to the ignorant sometimes.
 
Proverbs 14: 1 "Every wise woman builds her house: but the foolish plucks it down with her hands." I don't know if that scripture was meant for me, but it certainly is relevant.

And yes, the first thing Ken asked when he came home that weekend was, "Did you check to see if it was load bearing?"  And no, he never cared what I did to our houses.  I'm pretty good with a hammer.


No comments:

Post a Comment