Monday, July 14, 2014

Today when I was going into the Recreational Center to swim, a class of school children were coming out in a line--about thirty of them with their teacher leading the way.  They were probably nine or ten years old.  One of the young boys had been assigned to hold the door open until everyone was out.  As I started to go in, he made sure he held the door for me to enter.  A young girl at the end of the line moved ahead of me and got the second door open so I could go in.  The teacher was long gone at the head of the line.  The boy and girl held the doors because they had been taught to honor others.

I said "Thank you so very much."  They said, "You're welcome," and smiled at me.   A small moment in a day that left me feeling good.  It is amazing how little it takes to make someone else feel better.  Those kind of feelings can be trusted.

I have been trying to get the women in my Sunday class to say, "God bless you," when they get their order at a drive in.  I hope they do it.  It  has pushed me to be more diligent about saying it.  More times than not, I get a smile and a "You, too."  It is such a little thing and it may be the only time they hear God's name when it is not being used to swear.

The small things in life count.  They lift our spirits.  I told you yesterday that what we do is more important than what we feel.  However, how we make others feel is an entirely different thing.  That comes from doing something for them.  We "do", they "feel".  I hope what we do is always good and uplifting, courteous and thoughtful, kind and encouraging.   There is enough cruelty and mean spitefulness in the world.

From the Living Bible:  Philippians 2:3  "Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself.  Don't just think about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and in what they are doing."

Open the door for someone.








No comments:

Post a Comment