Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"Who-done-its" have always been one of my favorite kind of reading.  I love mystery.  I like to figure things out, or be in suspense.   I grew up on the "Bobbsey Twins" and "Nancy Drew."  I can remember when I was young, going to the library and getting six or seven books every week and reading them one right after the other.  (Back when I started blogging, I told you that my mother didn't make us do housework if we were reading a book.  So I made sure I was always reading!!)

But through the last ten or fifteen years, the language has become so bad that I am disgusted with all my favorite authors and have quit reading their books.  I have the same problem with television.  Where is Carol Burnett when we need her?

At first it was only one word, then two.  Now I can't find any mystery fiction to read.  I don't understand why they all seem to follow the leader down the slippery slope of vulgar language and misuse of God's name.  I have always said that a person who uses such language has a very poor command of the English language and a very limited vocabulary with meager adjectives.

Words count.   When they become common and lose their shock value,  our culture is the loser.  It is very easy to follow the leader when bad language becomes common.  Movies, television and books make it hard to avoid anymore.  But God expects better of us.  We don't need to do that!!  More than that, we are training the next generation to speak.  They speak what we speak.  And I think they are running out of bad words.  Words lead to thoughts.  Thoughts lead to actions.  Garbage in, garbage out.

Psalms 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

God is not only going to judge our actions, but He is also going to judge our words.

Colossians 3:8b "…now is the time to cast off and throw away all these rotten garments of anger, hatred, cursing, and dirty language."   Just do it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment