Friday, July 4, 2014

This weekend, I am going to my high school reunion.  We do this every two years.  My classmates fall into two categories.  Those who wouldn't go if you paid them to go, and those like me who enjoy hearing what everyone has been doing.  I like to hear the funny stories we tell on each other.  We truly liked each other, and we still do.

"Popular" was always someone else besides you.  There isn't anyone in my graduation class that felt like they fit in.  We are all amazed at how shy we were back then.  Those years before the "Sixties" were the last years of innocence.  Very few people had a TV.  I had never heard anyone say a curse word.  Air conditioning was for rich people.  If you took the car anywhere, you carpooled to save gas.

We had a water fan.  You put it in the window, filled it with water and the blades blew cool mist into the house.  I remember lying on my bed, under the water fan, reading a book.  It was the only way to stay cool in the unbearable Oklahoma heat.

Rain was a huge blessing.  People sat on their porches in the evening and talked about the weather.  Whether the wheat was going to burn up.  How much water was in their ponds for the cows. In the fifties, we weren't that far removed from the "Grapes of Wrath" and the dust bowl.  They still talk about the weather here, just not on the front porch.  We've lost something sweet because we sit in our air conditioned homes and watch TV.

I guess that is why people talk about the good old days.  For my generation, the days really were good.

Proverbs 7:10  "Don't long for the "good old days," for you don't know whether they were any better than these!"

You can't go back.  So keep on going forward.  We must live in the time that God placed us in.  Your time is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment