Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It was my daddy's birthday and I wanted to get him something that he really wanted.  I was only nine or ten, and didn't have a clue what he would want.  So I asked him.

"I would like a promise," he said.
"What promise?"
"Promise me you will never smoke."  My dad was a heavy smoker and even though he eventually quit, he knew how hard it was to quit if you smoked and how easy life was if you didn't.

So I wrapped him up a promise for his birthday.  In all the years he lived (to 94) I don't remember another birthday present that I gave him.  But I remember that one.  And I kept my promise.  I never smoked a cigarette.  There was no way I would ever let him down.

I've never tasted beer.  Which is also due to another  promise I made when I was thirteen.  Our town drunk went to the second world war, got the top of his head blown off, survived with a  plate in his head and came  back to Pryor sober.  He accepted Christ as Lord of his life and never drank again.  He and his wife were the cooks for our church youth group.  His nickname was Poodle.
        One Sunday he lined us all up, told us to put our hand on the Bible and swear that we would never drink.  I swore.  And I kept my promise.  There was no way I would let him down.

I think my dad and Poodle saved me from a lot of misery.  I also think I am bull-headed.  If I say it, I'll do it.  Which might not be a bad thing. You never know what your influence will be.  Make it good.

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."  Proverbs 23:29-30, 32 asks these questions:  "Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has babbling? Who has redness of eyes?  They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.  At the last it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder."

Proverbs is the Bible's book of wisdom.  Don't read it if you don't want to be wise.











No comments:

Post a Comment