Thursday, July 24, 2014

I went to Harrah to see my daughter Pat and she had a story to tell me that lifted my spirits.  It seems that she was towing a friend ( a trail riding partner) who had a broken down pickup.  He had been through a lot and was very discouraged.  He needed the pickup to carry his equipment to shoe horses.  That is how he makes his living.  Which doesn't include calling a wrecker or a tow truck.  All they had was chains, so they hooked up them up and started dragging.

They they were almost to the mechanic, when a policeman stopped them.  He talked to the guy who was being towed and due to total stress, it didn't go well.  So the policeman went up to my daughter in the other pickup to give her a ticket.  "I guess you are wondering why I stopped you?"

"I guess we were doing something that wasn't safe?"

"You are towing without a tow bar.  And the guy you are towing isn't very happy."
"I didn't know chains were illegal," she told him.  "I'm sorry, but my friend needed help and this seemed like the the only way I could help  him.  We are almost to the mechanic, you can see him from here.  My friend has to have a pickup today to do his work.  So after you ticket me, can we pull on up there to the mechanic?"

"I'll follow you.  No ticket.   You help your friend, I'll help you.  Use a tow bar next time."

Pat said, "When I got home, I wrote the patrolman a letter and thanked him.  I told him that it isn't very often that you meet someone that would look beyond the situation and see that my friend just needed some help.  That's what "Pay it forward" is all about.  Legally he could have written me a ticket."


Isaiah 41:6  "They helped every one his neighbor; and every one said to his brother, Be of good courage." 
Help the person who needs your help.  They may need courage to face the rest of their day.

1 comment:

  1. Not quite the way the conversation actually went, but I guess it makes a better story. ::shrug::

    ReplyDelete