Friday, July 25, 2014

There is nothing like home.  When Ken left Vietnam, he told me that God willing, he would never leave America again.  He said you wanted to kiss the ground when you got home from Spain, Greece, the Philippines, Japan, Korea, Okinawa or where ever the USMC sent him.  He was true to his word.  He never left again.

He also said that God willing, he would never sleep under canvas or on the ground again.  Once I wanted to go camping at Roaring River with the kids and all our side of the family.  Ken said, "Have fun, or I'll go if you want to rent me a motel room."

I didn't understand that feeling of "America" until long after he retired and I started traveling.  It was fun to go; the feeling lasted about five or six days.  Then I was ready to come home.  Every time my plane would land in Tulsa I promised myself I wouldn't leave again.  I don't know how he lasted five or six months at a time.   A number of times he was gone for thirteen months in another country.

I would get the itch to go again.  He never did.  He was so contented to stay home.  He would drive me to Tulsa, put me on a plane and say, "Have fun."

But this last couple of years, I have been been content as well.  I like to putter around in my garden.  I like to get up in the morning and read the newspaper and work the puzzles.  There's nowhere I really want to go.

 Luke 9:58   "And Jesus said to him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man doesn't have anywhere to lay his head.

I am glad, so thankful, that I have a home.







No comments:

Post a Comment