Monday, July 14, 2014

I have written over 400 blogs.  I think I have told you all of my stories.  So today I will tell you something that I don't think I've ever done.  I will tell you how I feel.  Just this once.

I don't trust feelings.  They come and go.  At times, if you are sad,  feelings might stop you from doing what you need to be doing.  Feelings are fickle.  But we all have them.  We just have to decide what to do with them.  What do you do when you get your feelings hurt?  What do you do when you are afraid?   Intense feelings eventually fade or--you hold on to them.  You harbor them.

Lately, I have been "feeling" abandoned.  I "feel" like Ken has left me here on an island in the middle of the ocean without a boat.  I know.  I know.   It is just a feeling.  But it surely has felt real.  It isn't depression or sadness or loneliness or anything like that…   Here is what this feeling is:

I "feel" abandoned.   I can't go back to the life I had--and I don't seem to know where "forward" is or I would go there immediately.   I truly believe that we are what we do, not what we feel.  I believe that when we do right, then right feelings will eventually come from that.  So I am "doing" things.  And looking for new things to do.   But there are things that I have quit doing as well.  I have quit making my bed.  Fifty-seven years of bed making and I've just quit unless someone is coming over.  I've quit cooking.  Fifty-seven years of cooking every day and now it is easier to stand at the kitchen counter and eat peanut butter with a spoon.

 I "feel" like I am waiting for someone to get me off this island, or bring me a boat and teach me how to row.   There is an old hymn that says: "Thank God for the lighthouse, or where would this soul be…"
That's me this week.  It will pass.  It is a temporary feeling.  I have not been abandoned. Wisdom tells me that.  

1 Corinthians 1: 3a,4 "What a wonderful God we have…the one who so wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships…And why does he do his?  So that when others are troubled, needing our sympathy and encouragement, we can pass on to them this same help and comfort God has given us."









No comments:

Post a Comment