Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I have finished going through my mother's letters.  I finished my grandmother's letters today.  Now I am down to sorting paper.  And in it all, I found a stack of poems, short stories, etc. that I had written over forty years ago.

I had enrolled in a creative writing class, and the teacher was fantastic.  Ken always said you should take the teacher--not the class.   I tend to agree.

Any way, it was  enjoyable to reread them.  She assigned us a Haiku:  five syllables, seven syllables, then five more syllables.  A Japanese poem envoking images of the natural world.  She told us to pick a color and an emotion.  And write.  So I wrote:  "Jealousy is very green, thirty thousand little feet, biting holes in beauty."  The teacher would pick someone's poem to read that she especially liked and read it.   She read that one.

 In Hebrews, the writer has read something from the past.  He mentions Melchisedec (from the Old Testament).  He was the person that Abraham gave his tithes to.  Which is interesting, seeing that Abraham is the father of the Jewish nation and there were no priests at that time.  They came later when Isaac, Abrahams son, had Jacob--who had twelve sons--and the tribes were established.  With the tribe of Levi being the priests.

Hebrews 7: 15-16 "So we can plainly see that God's method changed, for Christ, the new High Priest who came with the rank of Melchizedek did not become a priest by meeting the old requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but on the basis of power flowing from a life that cannot end…"

I started to skip all this, however, you probably should know something about Melchizedek.  He is mentioned once in the Old Testament and a number of times in the New.

If we write, future generations will remember, and pause.  Pausing is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment