Thursday, September 11, 2014

My daughter Pat has chickens.  Lots of them.  I went to her house last week and walked down to the chicken coop to get the eggs.  What fun.  It is like getting a present.  I shooed a hen off the nest and underneath her were eight fresh eggs.  All the hens had stopped by to give us a gift.

Squig (my dog) was with me and I cracked one of the eggs on a flat rock for him.  He told me it was delicious, and could he have another one?  There is nothing like a fresh egg.

The eggs are all different colors, and Pat knows which hen laid which egg!!  Blue ones, green ones, cream and white, tan and brown.  I used to go get the eggs with my grandmother.  I thought it was so exciting that a chicken could make an egg.

Writers are like that.  Blue and green, cream and white, tan and brown.  We can tell who wrote what by the way they phrase their thoughts.  But Hebrews is a toss up.  I like to think John wrote it because when you read John's gospel, he starts the letter in almost the same way:  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."   Hebrews is concise.  It doesn't ramble like Paul's letters.  Paul starts to say something and thinks of something else and chases rabbits before he gets back to his main thought.

Hebrews is not like that.  The writer proceeds from thought to thought, developing his account of the Deity of Jesus.  He builds on past writers.  You can tell he had been with the apostles, or was one himself.

Hebrews 1:3a  "God's Son shines out with God's glory, and all that God's Son is and does marks him as God.  He regulates the universe by the mighty power of his command.  He is the one who died to cleanse us and clear our record of all sin…"

Now that is a clean record.  Thank God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment