Monday, September 22, 2014

I have written so many blogs that I have forgotten what I have written!!!  This is number 457.  When I started doing this, back at blog #1, my plan was to do the book of Genesis and that was it.  Genesis is my area of expertise.  But one thing led to another and here we are.

I have been wandering through the book of Hebrews.  I told you last week that the eleventh chapter is called the faith chapter of the Bible.  It starts in Heb. 11:3 "By faith--by believing in God--we know that the world and the stars--in fact, all things--were made at God's command; and that they were all made from things that can't be seen."

My commentary suggests that the things that can't be seen could be a reference to atoms, electrons, etc. Even the writer, who didn't know about those things, could recognize that there were tiny things, and even things smaller than tiny.  He could recognize the hand of God at work in creation.  Psalms 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the skies  show his handiwork.  Day unto day they utter speech, and night unto night show forth knowledge."  You can't deny that there is a Creator.

Faith is the key to salvation.  The writer of Hebrews begins to spell out all the people in the Bible who trusted God by faith.  In verses 4-33, which is a long, long list, he tells us many of the people who trusted in God by faith.  He starts with Abel, Enoch, and Noah and ends with Gideon, Samson and…David.   In verse 6, the writer says that, "Without faith it is impossible to please him (God): for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder to them that diligently seek him."

1.  I want to please God.
2.  I believe that He is.
3.  I have diligently sought Him.   So I can expect to be rewarded.

My  rewards have been peace, joy, a thankful heart--to name a few.  Some people think that their rewards will be "things".  That is a meager idea of reward.  Money only lasts until you spend it.  Peace lasts.  Joy endures.  And a thankful heart lifts your spirit.  That is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment