Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The last chapter of Hebrews begins this way: "Let brotherly love continue. Don't be forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."  Hebrews 13: 1-2

I got to be an angel once.  And I am definitely not angel material.  Year before last, one of the members of my church who is a widow in her seventies, fell down a flight of concrete stairs into her cellar and broke her legs.  She had the strength to somehow pull herself up to the stairs to the garage floor and into the kitchen, but couldn't stand to reach the wall phone.  She lay there hour after hour praying that God would send an angel to rescue her.

I had not called this lady in six months or more, but was concerned about a mutual friend we had in the Moore tornado area.  So I called her.  She was able to grab the cord hanging down the wall and jerk the phone off the hook and drag the receiver to her side.

"Sharon, what was that noise!! Are you okay?"  I asked, as the phone hit the concrete floor.
"No, no, I have broken my legs.  I need help."
I called 911 and the fire department and jumped in my car and raced to her house.

"I have been praying for hours that someone would call so that I could pull the receiver down and get help.  I asked God to send me an angel.  You are my angel," she said.

"I am definitely not an angel, but God definitely let me call you," I told her.

Now, when she sees me she calls me her angel.  I kind of like it.

You never know what God is going to do for you.  Just be sure that if you break your legs and pray for an angel, he's probably going to send you one.




No comments:

Post a Comment