Friday, September 26, 2014

James, the brother of Jesus mentions Rahab in his letter to the twelve tribes.  James 2: 25-26 : "Likewise, also, wasn't Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

James is not saying that we are justified by the works we do, but rather that our faith produces works.  Rahab had faith in the God of the Jews who had parted the Red sea for the Israelites and had led them out of Egypt.  But what she did after she had that faith--hiding the spies, protecting them from the men who were trying to kill them, letting them down over the wall with a rope--those were the works that proved her faith.  She risked her own life.

A Christian will be identifiable by the works that they do.  Later when the Israelites invaded, Rahab hung a scarlet line out the window like the spies had told her to do.  In this way the invaders would know her house.  She also gathered all of her family into her house for protection.  That is faith.

She is remembered in history as a woman of faith in God.  The writer of Hebrews could have mentioned Rebecca, Leah, Ruth, or Esther.  They were all faithful women of God that didn't commit the sin that Rahab did.  But he didn't.  He mentioned a harlot.

I sometimes wonder if my faith shows.  Can others see the faith that I have in God through the works that I do?  I am sure I can do better.  Matthew 5:6  "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

When I was young, I used to play for the Methodist men's organization.  One of the older men always had them sing, "To the work, to the work..."  I always admired that about Methodists.  They put a lot of emphasis on doing something good in your community.  We didn't sing that song at my church!!  We should have.

Do something good.


No comments:

Post a Comment