Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Becky and Pat, my two daughters, managed to miss all the drama here at home.  Pat was on the the East coast, and Becky was in Paris.  They are home now.  But Ann and Lisa stood in the gap.  They said that "Those Two Girls" had better coordinate their plans for travel in the future so that one of them is here at all times.  That is probably a good idea.  I am now officially "The Problem."

Becky called in the middle of it all to say she was going to a Paris flea market, and what kind of trinket did I want her to find for me.  "I don't want stuff,"  I told her.  "Bring me French pastries."  She did. I froze them and I have been eating them for breakfast each morning.  There is nothing like real French pastry, bread and sweet rolls.  This morning I had a croissant that had been filled with French chocolate.  There is no chocolate in America to compare with real French chocolate.  Yummy.

I think I could live in France--for the food.  We usually stay on a short "Rue" where everything you could possibly want is on two blocks of the street.  Meat  and fish markets, cheese and every kind of fresh fruit and vegetable.  Chocolate shops, restaurants. You wake up every morning to the clanging of the trucks coming in from outside the city with their wares.  Everything is fresh.  You live upstairs over the street and come down to buy what you want to eat that day.  I never tire of French food.  And the crepes, Oh my.  They raise butter and cream to a new level.  I could eat fresh French butter with a spoon.  It comes straight from the farm to your table.  I see why Julia Child was so taken with it.

God has given us so many wonderful foods.  And such variety.  Think of all the kinds of fruit trees.  Nut trees.  Meats.  Vegetables.  And yeast--the perfect ingredient with which to make bread.  I could live on yeast-bread, butter and raspberry jam.

Genesis 1:29-30 "And God said, Behold, I have given to you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.  And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creeps upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat;  And it was so."

I'm really glad "it was so."




No comments:

Post a Comment