Monday, August 3, 2015

I am still not well, but the doctor has said I can start getting back to normal.  Slowly.  I don't have enough strength to do it any other way anyway.  My arm is peeling.  I look like a snake shedding its skin.  I am through writing about this.  Enough.  I'm sick of it.

I have been reading a series of books set in England about Tyndale--who translated the Bible into English and was burned at the stake  by the "Church" in 1536 for doing so.  He smuggled Bibles into England so that people could read God's word in English for themselves.

There is nothing like reading God's word for yourself.  It puts to rest all the doctrines of all the churches that would try to deceive you.  It is not the church that holds the keys to the kingdom.  It is Christ.  "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done..."

Through the years I have become angry from time to time with my own church--really, not the church, but the hierarchy that sends recommendations down from above--lately their position of the role of women in the church.  But I remain a member of my denomination for three main reasons.

1.  They put their focus on missions as the primary role of the church.  Establishing churches in places that there are none, and supporting them from then on.  Missionaries don't have to come to the USA to raise funds.  We give "here" to support them "there".

2.  Every church is independent.  The local church makes all decisions concerning its own operating and financing.  People of the body serve on committees that make recommendations for approval or disapproval by the membership.  All expenditures are decided at the local level.  We can reject recommendations that come down from The Convention.  And we often do.

3. This one is the "biggie,"  for me.  We are called "People of the Book."  It is our only source of doctrine.  Everyone is encouraged to read it daily.  When disagreements arise, there are sometimes no resolutions.  But for the most part, everyone studies until they understand both sides of the question.  And the Bible is the only source of reference.  What else could you possibly need?

Find yourself a church that encourages you to read God's word, then read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment