Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Last week I picked up a piece of jewelry in Pryor, and the owner, Kerry Pace, and I reminisced  about an incident that was life changing for our church.

His mother Linda was fighting for her life.  Kidney failure was closing in on her, and it was becoming apparent that she was losing her battle.

Linda had been a faithful Christian for her entire life.  She had served God in the church, in the city and among her many friends.  She was one of those people that you knew beyond any doubt that she loved the Lord.  And one of those people who, if you knew her, you loved her.  Linda had helped all of us raise our children.  We had helped raise hers.  We were family.

Everyone knew that her time was short.  But none of us ever imagined her last blessing on all of us.

It was a Sunday.  The church was packed.  Linda came into the auditorium in a wheelchair.   The preacher announced that she had something to say to us.  I wish I could remember every word she said, but my memory fails me.  What I do remember is the hush that came over the entire church as she began to speak.

She told us that she had decided not to go on with dialysis, or other life changing procedures, and that she was ready to meet God.  She thanked us all for what we had meant in her life.  And then she took off the hat she was wearing and put a different one on.  "I'm just changing hats," she said.  "I'm going to a new church."  She was so positive.  Her face simply glowed with joy.

She was gone within a week.  But the testimony that she left behind will stay with us forever.  It was remarkable.

No one who was there that day will ever forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment