Monday, December 12, 2016

What you believe determines how you live your life.  Whether it is true or not.  For instance, when you were little, your mom made sure you washed your hands with soap.  So without knowing any better, we assumed that soap killed germs.  Which isn't true.

Soap cuts grease and oil.  Which loosens dirt and allows dirt, grease and oil to be washed away.  But the only germs that soap gets rid of is the germs contained the dirt, grease and oil.  Everything else lives on happily on your hands.  Washing hands is very important, but in a hospital you want to be sure that after the nurse or doctor wash their hands with soap, that they swish disinfectant on their hands before they touch you.  Bottles of disinfectant are attached to the side of the door in every room in the hospital for just that reason.  To kill germs.

It is the same way in our spiritual life.  What we believe spiritually also determines how we live our lives.  For instance, if you believe that all roads lead to heaven, you will miss the narrow path that actually leads you there.  And convinced that what you believe is true, you won't look for the truth.

When we believe something, we usually stop looking any further.  That is why it is so important to have a regular daily habit of reading the Bible.  Even if it is only for a minute or two.  It is a book of God's truth.  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the light.  No man comes to the Father except by me." John 14:6  If you don't believe what Jesus said, someday you are going to be shocked when you find out that what you believed in this life didn't get you to where you wanted to go for eternity.

You can't cram learning about God into a weekend.  It has to be a daily progression in that direction.  My Grandson asked me this week how I knew where to find things in the Bible.  I told him it was because I started reading it when I was seven years old and continued doing that for all my life.  Little by little I learned what was in it, and how to find what I was looking for when I had a question.

Start.  Take a step towards God.  It's never too late.  Learn a little bit every day.  He's the best friend you will ever find.  He loves you.  He knows your name.


No comments:

Post a Comment