Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Squig is not very smart.  Bless his heart, he is sweet and loving, but I don't think he will ever learn to fetch.  I have tried all the suggested methods to get him to bring his toy back to me when I throw it, but nothing seems to work.  He is not motivated by treats at all, which makes it difficult.

But some things, he learns.  He will lie around all day, sleeping on the sofa.  But when I put on my shoes he comes unglued, begins to yelp, squeak, and dance all over the family room.  If I am going somewhere, he wants me to know for sure that he wants to go with me. I guess he has learned that when I put on my shoes, I am leaving in the car--since I pad around barefoot most of the time while I am in the house.

But if I tell him, "I''ll be back in a minute," he stops prancing around and just stares pitifully at me as I leave.  So maybe he isn't completely dumb.

When I let him go with me, I tell him to "get in the car" and open the car door for him.  Which he won't hop into--until he has made a complete circuit all the way around the back of the car, past the passenger side, past the front of the car and back to the driver's door where I stand patiently waiting on him while he does laps.  And then, instead of getting in the open door, he always goes under it before he hops in.  Which is difficult because there isn't much room to jump in that way.  I haven't been able to convince him that there is an easier way to do it.

I wonder if there are things that God is trying to teach me that I am just as head-strong about.   Am I running circles around things that need to be done, (like Squig running around the car). Things that I am so in the habit of doing my way that I fail listen to God, or notice that he is holding a door open for me--and fail to recognize that he has a better way for me to do it.

I said that Squig was not very smart.  I bet that sometimes God thinks the same thing about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment