Tuesday, October 24, 2017

On Wednesday nights, I go to teacher's meeting.  There are 10-15 people in the room who have been teaching Bible all their lives.  Some for over 60 years.  They have studied it, explored many translations, and read hundreds of related materials dating back to the time of Christ, and beyond.  They are Biblical scholars.  Well versed.

So when I go, I usually have questions that I think perhaps someone there can answer--questions that should at least provoke discussion.  And I always wait until the session is almost over so I won't disturb the lesson.  Last week my question to them was: "Why do you think that God chose a man like Aaron to be the high priest of the Jewish nation?  He obviously was a man of weak character.

I didn't get a good answer.  So Sunday, I asked my class the same question--and one of the women said: "Why Janie, you have been telling us for weeks that any old bush will do if God is in it."   I hadn't applied that thought to Aaron.  I was pleased that she remembered what I had said about the burning bush.  That it wasn't the bush or the fire that was special, but the fact that God was in it.

God uses flawed people.  We are all flawed.  But if we are willing, God can do his work through us.  The only thing necessary is that we be willing.

After Moses chewed Aaron out in front of the hundreds of Israelites, Moses left Aaron in charge once again while he went back up onto the mountain--where God gave Moses a second set of tablets.  Ten laws that would now govern the people.  And Aaron, bruised, embarrassed and chastised went on to serve in the temple as the intermediary between the people and the sacrifices offered to God for sin.  His own sins included.  He became the man with a Godly purpose that God intended him to be.

God's people are not perfect.  But we band together to do his work.  We are stronger as a group.  And it is easier to be what God wants you to be when you are surrounded by people with the same goals.  As Ken always said: "Tell me who you are running with and I will tell you what you are doing."  Find a church.  "Run" with the people in that church.  Do something collectively in the church that uplifts and strengthens others.   Two are better than one, and a group of people with a purpose can change the world we live in.  Find your purpose with the people of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment