Friday, February 25, 2022

 Locked up in the house due to the weather is no fun.  I wouldn’t be going anywhere most days anyway, but it is knowing you can’t that bugs me.

There isn’t anything much to do but watch TV.  And I watched the wrong thing--if I wanted to be cheered up.  Nova.  About the tundra and permafrost thawing--which is releasing methane from millions of years ago that has been trapped under the ice.  It is adding CO2 faster than the earth can manage.  Causing the permafrost to thaw faster.  And here I was worrying about CO2 from cars exhaust.  Which is substantial.

It has been causing explosions in Alaska and upper Russia since the year 2000, that leaves huge holes in the earth and sinkholes that exude more methane. Cheerful news.  But if I turn on the news, it is just as awful.  

I am ready for spring.  My cousin Ann is already talking about planting spinach.  I’m going to buy my spinach at the grocery store! Or beg her for some.  I will plant tomatoes if my son Scott sends me Jet Stars.  Nothing else here is very dependable.  Except the little yellow one.

And okra.  But last year, something ate my plants when they emerged.  Rabbits probably.  I planted again, same thing.  No okra.  I’ll try again.  Ann is a true gardener.  She does it all.  I give the okra away.  It is my attempt to pay my friends and neighbor for sending me meals.  I still have okra cut up, dredged in corn meal and frozen from two years ago.  I don’t think I’m going to fry it unless someone calls, says “Come to dinner, and bring fried okra.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment