Friday, October 16, 2015

In the morning, (I am writing this on Thurs. night) I will get up and do the garage sale.  I haven't had one in ten years.  I dread it.  But when it is over, I have a cousin that just moved here that will come get all the things that don't sell for his garage sale.  So I don't have to get it all to Goodwill.  Super!!!  He came over tonight and helped me move a sofa to the garage.  I have a wonderful family.  They all help me.

Everyone has a gift.  There is a young woman in Pryor that sends me a handwritten letter every other week or so--to tell me she is praying for me.  Amy Smith.  I'm no good with that kind of stuff, so it is good that God made us all different.

And Carolyn, (my best friend from the ninth grade) called today to tell me something very complimentary that someone told her about me.  I love compliments.  We all love them.  They are an instant upper.  My mom tried to teach my brother and me to listen for when someone said something nice about someone else.  "Pay attention," she said.

Mom called them TL's.  Tell Lasts.  And at the supper table each night, we would tell the compliment we had heard about them--last.  They had to give us one first.  Bribery--but it certainly caused us to sit up and listen to the nice things we heard about people.  So now, I call my own children and grandchildren and say, "I have a TL for you."  I usually have to give it to them on credit.   All four of my children are deep in "Compliment debt."

Just today, I called my son Scott and told him something nice that Amy wrote to me about him.   He was thrilled.  And then he told me how wonderful Amy was.  So there is another TL I have accumulated.  "Amy, you read this every day so remember, you owe me a TL!!!

"Be kind one to another, tenderhearted..."  Ephesians 4:32



1 comment:

  1. Janie,
    I love reading your "Cup of Tea". Still learning from you many, many years later. Just to say, I cherish you!
    Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete