Thursday, October 22, 2015

Last night when I went to bed, I lay there and apologized to God for being such a poor "prayer."  I can't think of what to pray about after asking for mercy for four of my friends who are having problems.  I always mention someone in my immediate family, but there are twenty-nine of them if I don't count nieces, nephews, aunts, and cousins.  There is no way I can concentrate for that long.

I am sure God understands my lack of focus.  But I wish I was a better "Prayer".  Someone suggested that I use the acronym "ACTS".  That way you can remember what you are trying to communicate without drifting off.
A:  Adoration.   I don't have any problem with this part of prayer.  The commandment to love the Lord your God with all your heart is a part of my being.
C: Confession.  I try to stay caught up on this.  I concentrate for the most part on having nothing to confess.  My desire is not to do anything wrong.  I work at it.  I don't want to embarrass God.
T:  Thanksgiving.  This usually takes awhile.  I have so much to be thankful for that I never get through my list.
S:  Supplication.  Asking for what I want him to do.  I usually get this part of the acronym out of order because--being human--it's all about me most of the time.  But when I find I am doing this, I go back to the other steps.

The part of prayer that I have never understood is that God tells us to ask for what we want.  But then he says we are to desire His will.  Sometimes God's will and my will aren't on the same page.  I want what I want.  And He is the only one with the power to give me what I want.

So I keep asking.  Maybe I will wear God down.  Jesus said:  "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive."  Matthew 21:22

"...whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you shall ask anything in my name, I will do it."  John 14:13-14

Three conditions:  1.  In His will,  2.  Believing He will do it, and  3.  In Jesus name.   Getting all three of those things going at the same time is difficult.



No comments:

Post a Comment