Thursday, October 15, 2015

There are things I like to eat, and things I don't.  I've never liked ice cream, or milk, or yogurt.  I'm not much a beef eater--unless it is disguised.  Like spaghetti sauce, or stroganoff.  So I guess I would have made it ok in the garden of Eden where they ate no meat.  But pork.  Now there is a meat that is delicious.  I never met a slice of bacon that I couldn't deal with. I can't think of any part of a ham that isn't delicious.  So why in the world would God forbid the Jews to eat pork.  I don't get it.  I am glad that I am not a Jew because I love pork.

But then, there are things in the Bible that I don't get.  (Yet)  But the parts that I do get, have altered my life.  Passages that come back to me from my memory and comfort me.  Such as  the third chapter of Ecclesiastes:  "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate;
A time of war and a time of peace."

The Bible speaks to us in the events of life.  Next to the words, "A time of war," I have written in the margin:  Chu Lai, Vietnam.  100-plus missions in A4s and F8s.  The comforting part was: "...and a time of peace."  We have to remember that each of the statements has two parts.  Like life.

No comments:

Post a Comment